With Humans, Be a human
Every stakeholder in an organization, product, project, family is a human. Every human is different, with his own aspirations, fallibility, egos etc. Effective Communication is the single aspect which connects everybody. But there cannot be a written rule or one-size-fits all. I think its important to be an understanding human to be an effective communicator.
For long, I have been of the opinion that
Then comes, What is Communication Skill?
Communication Skill is
- A Professional Responsibility
Showing Integrity in personal & professional conduct with colleagues and clients
Resolving conflict of interest, with a sense of purpose
Industry / Domain Knowledge
Laws / Regulations Compliance
Dealing with confidential information, company data, IP
- Being able to understand the psyche of your colleague, client and be able to talk in his “language”
- Spending Time Building Relationships of Trust
- Respecting Cultural Differences
- Good Performance Reporting
- Effective Change Management
Communicating changes early
Not being defensive, but assertive, if needed.
As always, happy to hear from you about what you feel about the question.